MENU
LPGMA Logo

News & Events

November 12, 2014

THE MANILA STANDARD TODAY ONLINE: Seven more companies agree to run generator sets next dry season

Seven large corporations, including broadcast company GMA Network Inc., have volunteered to self-generate their electricity so that the Luzon power grid’s limited supply in the summer of 2015 may be utilized by other consumers, House deputy minority leader and LPGMA Rep. Arnel Ty said over the weekend.

Ty said aside from GMA Network, real estate companies such as Century Properties Group Inc., Federal Land Inc., Fort Bonifacio Development Corp., Philam Properties Corp., Posh Properties Development Co. and Trafalgar Plaza Condominium Corp. joined the call to run their standby generators in the event Luzon’s power supply became strained.

“These firms are ready to drive their backup generators under the Interruptible Load Program, or ILP,” said Ty, speaking for the minority bloc in the House energy committee.

“We applaud these entities for going out of their way to shield consumers, by helping to minimize the threat of any potential power shortages in Luzon between February to June next year,” Ty said.

Ty said a total of 29 companies had already offered to operate their standby generators, if required, instead of obtaining their electricity from the Luzon grid in the dry months of 2015, when demand was seen to peak due to extreme heat, while supply would become fragile owing to reduced water pressure at hydropower facilities.

He said if all 29 firms run their own generators, some 169 megawatts of supply would be freed and would be made available for smaller businesses and homes.

Under the ILP, large consumers of electricity—business concerns with loads of at least one MW each—are encouraged to run their backup generators to help Luzon manage possible power shortages in the dry months of 2015.

comments powered by Disqus