MENU
LPGMA Logo

News & Events

October 24, 2014

GMA 7 NEWS: More than 20 firms commit to generate own power in summer of 2015

More than 20 companies have agreed to generate power for their own needs during he summer months next year in a bid to lessen the demand in Luzon grid amid the possible power crisis in 2015, House Deputy Minority Leader Arnel Ty said in a statement over the weekend.

"These entities have, on their accord, decided to operate their standby generators if required, instead of drawing their electricity supplies from the Luzon power grid, between February to June 2015," Ty said.

According to the lawmaker, some 126 megawatts of electricity normally consumed by the said companies "may be freed and available for small shops and homes without any independent or reserve generating capacity."

The films are Ayala Land Inc., ABC Development Corp. (TV 5), Alphaland Development Inc., Citystate Centre Condominum Corp., Feature Realty Holdings & Development Corp.(Bay City Mall), Makati Sky Plaza Inc., Manta Equities Inc. (NAC Tower), Megaworld Corp., Ortigas & Co., Philippine Long Distanct Telelphone Co., POwer Concessionaires Inc. (EGI Rufino Plaza), Raffles Condominum Corp., Robinsons Land Corp., Rustan's Supercenters Inc., Seda Hotel-Bonifacio Global City, Shangri-la Plaza Corp., SM Prime Holdings Inc., Sunstar Mall (Laguna), The JMT Condominum Corp., The Prestige Tower, Waltermart Malls, and Xin Tian Ti Development Corp. (Marco Polo Ortigas).

Ty asked other establishments to participate in the Interruptible Load Program (ILP) which encourage firms to run their backup generators in the summer of 2015 to help Luzon cope with severely limited power supply.

President Benigno Aquino III last month requested Congress for emergency powers to avert possible power crisis next year.

The government plans to address the 300-megawatt projected deficit for next year and to generate another 300 MW in power reserves through the emergency powers.

In a commitee hearing on Monday at the House of Representatives, Energy Undersecretary Raul Aguilos said if 700 MW would me committed by private firms under the ILP, "we'll no longer have a problem."

In the same meeting, House Commitee on Energy Oriental Mindoro Rep. Reynaldo Umali said the House will approve the joint resolution granting emergency powers to Aquino before December 1. - Kathryn Tubadeza/NB, GMA News

comments powered by Disqus