ABS-CBN: 22 firms to run on generators in summer of 2015
MANILA -- Twenty-two companies have volunteered to use their generators for five months next year to help ease the demand for electricity in Luzon due to the expected tight power supply.
In a statement on Sunday, House Deputy Minority Leader Arnel Ty credited 22 corporations to join the cause.
The 22 firms mentioned are:
- Ayala Land Inc.
- ABC Development Corp. (TV 5)
- Alphaland Development Inc.
- Citystate Centre Condominium Corp.
- Feature Realty Holdings & Development Corp. (Bay City Mall)
- Makati Sky Plaza Inc.
- Manta Equities Inc. (NAC Tower)
- Megaworld Corp.
- Ortigas & Co.
- Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co.
- Power Concessionaires Inc. (EGI Rufino Plaza)
- Raffles Condominium Corp.
- Robinsons Land Corp.
- Rustan's Supercenters Inc.
- Seda Hotel-Bonifacio Global City
- Shangri-la Plaza Corp.
- SM Prime Holdings Inc.
- Sunstar Mall (Laguna)
- The JMT Condominium Corp.
- The Prestige Tower
- Waltermart Malls
- Xin Tian Ti Development Corp. (Marco Polo Ortigas)
According to Ty, the firms shall operating their standby generators from February to June 2015. "These entities have, on their own accord, decided to operate their standby generators, if required, instead of drawing their electricity supplies from the Luzon power grid, between February to June 2015," he said.
The estimated 126 megawatts (MW) of power which are normally consumed by these firms may be available for use by entities without independent or reserve generating capacity.
"We are urging other large consumers of electricity -- establishments with loads of at least one MW each -- to follow the example set by the 22firms and participate in the Interruptible Load Program," he said.
Congress is expected to tackle on Monday Malacañang's request for emergency powers, to address the projected power shortage of 900MWs next summer in Luzon.